SALAMANCA — In the coming weeks, the Salamanca City Central School District expects to break ground at Veterans Memorial Park as part of its ongoing capital project.
With bids being accepted for field site work on March 13, officials say shovels should be in the ground at Vets Park by early April 2020 and continue through Winter 2021.
If all goes according to schedule, the football, soccer, lacrosse, baseball and box lacrosse fields and buildings are expected to be open for the spring 2021 season.
In the meantime, some district athletic teams will be displaced for contests in this spring and fall. “(Rich) Morton, Athletic Director, has been working hard with Section VI, the CCAA League and competing schools to minimize schedule disruptions,” said Robert Breidenstein, district superintendent. “The impact was known and planned, however, the spring 2020 schedules have just recently been released.”
After a meeting Feb. 10 with the Salamanca Recreation Commission and Salamanca Youth Athletics programs, the district has released a tentative plan for practices. Breidenstein said the district is working to make adjustments to meet both practice and contest needs.
“We have reached out to the city recreation commission, Seneca Nation and St. Bonaventure University for assistance for ‘athletic games,’” he said. “We expect to be able to accommodate all practice schedules on-site at either the high school or Prospect Elementary or library field on Wildwood Avenue.”
Although the plan for practices should not disrupt any other organization, Breidenstein said if there are conflicts that develop, the district will work with community partners to adjust the school’s needs, not the needs of feeder programs like SYA football, baseball or softball.
“Mother Nature may throw us a proverbial curveball this spring, but with the support of the Salamanca community, we will make it work and be respectful of all groups who also use recreation fields for athletics,” he said.
The district plans to continue the use of Vets Park for practices and contests until the power is cut on April 3, Breidenstein said. Soon, thereafter, the Salamanca community will have both Crowley Park, the library field and a renovated Vets Park to showcase youth athletic talents. “Together as good neighbors, we will weather the construction — as we did in the early 2000s when the track was re-done,” he said. “We will continue to update everyone as we move forward with construction and the athletic seasons.”
Schedules will be posted on the district website, www.salamancany.org/athletics.
The following home locations have been tentatively set for the spring 2020 season:
- All Boys Lacrosse practice locations: Vets Park, high school field, Allegany Community Center (ACC)
- All Boys Lacrosse contest locations: Vets Park through April 3, Crowley Park, St. Bonaventure (SBU)
- Girls Varsity Lacrosse practice locations: Vets Park, high school field, Prospect
- Girls Varsity Lacrosse contest locations: Vets Park through April 3, Crowley Park, SBU
- Girls Modified Lacrosse practice locations: Vets park, library field
- Girls Modified Lacrosse contest locations: library field, Crowley Park
- All Softball practice locations: Prospect field
- All Softball game locations: Prospect Field
- All Baseball practice locations: high school field
- All Baseball game locations: high school field
- Track and Field practice locations: high school track
- Track and Field meet locations: high school track