SALAMANCA — The Salamanca Area Historical Society Museum has been busy decking the halls in anticipation of the annual visit from Santa.
Santa, his reindeer and the Grinch are all expected to arrive at the museum on “Reindeer Day,” Dec. 14 from noon to 2 p.m.
Building on these holiday festivities, and just in time for Christmas, the museum’s gift shop has added a line of “Salamanca” t-shirts in a variety of sizes and colors, as well as baseball caps and knit hats with embroidered “Salamanca Area Historical Society Museum” lettering and museum building. These items are felt to please patrons of almost any age.
In addition to preparing for the Christmas holiday, the museum has developed a new exhibit that is now on display on the museum’s first floor. The exhibit centers around an inscribed stone tablet that once graced the parapet of a two-story brick building that was located on the corner of Main (21-25) and West Race Street in Salamanca.
The building, constructed in 1924, has historical significance in that it claims ties to an important former Salamanca citizen; housed legal offices as well as the Salamanca Motor Company, Fred Bull Shoe Store, the Royal Restaurant, Bifano’s Café Royal, and Hart’s Café Royal; and is connected to the installation of the area’s first residential copper bathtub.
Those curious to find the answer to this puzzle must visit the Salamanca Area Historical Society Museum to reveal the real facts.